22 March 2005

'Satu, dua, tiga...'

God gives second chances – and just when I thought I had once again for the umpteenth time in my life broken my New Year resolution in the very first week itself – in came the Chinese New Year! The year of the rooster! With stronger determination I resolved to keep my commitment this time round and embarked on my eternal battle of the bulge.

Armed with a shaky will power and a spreading girth I slunk into the apartment gym. Come hail, come snow, come storm – I fought all adversities to make it to the health club regularly. It was after all, just an elevator ride down twelve floors and no excuses were at hand.

A month of regular workouts and not an iota of difference! The only thing sliding at a rapid pace was my motivation level. The gym trainer had a perpetual grin on his face. There were days when I felt it was an effort on his part to egg me on while at other times I felt it was his way of showing empathy. “Try aerobics,” he advised. “It will help kick start your lethargic metabolism.”

So here I was in my brand new aerobics gear – a complete novice looking around at the veterans with terror emblazoned across my face. The class consisted of a petite bunch of Japanese, Koreans and Indonesians all small built and very agile on their feet. It took immense grit to last out the one-hour session.

The instructor conducted the class in Bahasa and it took all my skills to coordinate my hand and leg movements to a count that was alien. “Satu, Dua, Tiga, Empat, Lima, Enam, Next, Change” he counted leading to a total breakdown of communication in my nervous system, as my neurons seemed to wage a complete mutiny. I watched helplessly as my nimble footed classmates pranced around the mirrored studio in complete unison.

"Don't take life too seriously,” I consoled myself - “ you can't come out of it alive anyway." Lets show them what I can do better, I thought, smiling wryly – as I belted out the lyrics of the English numbers that everybody exercised to – turning tables instantly! For there I was with admiration being cast my way even as I moved to the left while the entire group stepped to the right.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

comedia del arte - that's what this sojourn at jakarta is turning out at least for the rest of us - better than lord emsworth and bertie wooster put together!! i know pratap's sensibilities are being sorely tested and sangeeta is becoming like the buddha (no reference to size) - patient and ever-smiling and full of the milk of human kindness or shall i say like shiva-neelkanth - drinking all the poison that pratap is pouring out (i can write this only because i know im many many miles away from pratap.......). and i notice that this, after tantrum, is the only one where the heroine is sangeeta, the rest are mostly about the lord and master ;-)........ok, ok pratap im shuting up !

8:04 AM, March 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you are now a writer!!!!! Can you please print out, autograph and send me the first set of printouts before you get famous please......

9:49 AM, March 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Sangeeta. An excellent example of Knowledge Management! It so nice to see you going live with your postcards online.

Great editorial from Sangeeta that would have not been possible without Pratap's valuable
contribution.... Well done, Ranas!

8:16 PM, March 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to write to you because I suddenly seem to have got dropped off the 'postcard from Jakarta' mailing list, but was heartened to get your blog id. Cheers one up in the middle of a boring working day. Look forward to your continued supply of laughs.

8:19 PM, March 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really look forward to receiving your witty postcards. They cheer me up. Please do keep me on your e-mail list.

8:20 PM, March 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure when you arrived in jakarta your heart sang "yeh kahan aa gaye hum" and then with a look at Pratap, it went on, "yun hi saath saath chalte!" But with the wonderful ranaisms that never seem to leave your way, it seems you are singing a completely different tune and enjoying it too!

Btw I am not sure now what leaves me more impressed, your advanced computer skills (have your own blog account, oh my GAWD!:) or your increasingly humourous accounts. I think on your return David Dhawan will be very happy to include you in his group of writers!

8:20 PM, March 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pratap, well I can clearly see that you are a " Man on a Mission ", in fact with more than one mission. Needless to say the classy articles from Sangeeta are really interesting, when are you all coming to India, would like to take a lesson or two from her.

8:27 PM, March 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If nothing else, I must visit Jakarta to see for myself..... Pratap, whan maalish nahin milti hogi , that's why you haven't fallen prey - atleast not for 20 rupees!

7:40 AM, March 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey.....you should find a publisher to publish ur postcards......it would be great sellout

7:42 AM, March 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sangeeta you need to open a site for the fan club!!! Really.... Ofcourse some credit has to go the "FBI detainee" too. He provides you with the character - we need to imagine doing all the prowling, pacing, poking, pouting, peeking, prancing !!!!! Great stuff....Dont you stop. Began my day with a smile today. Thank you.

12:27 PM, March 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a pleasure to receive these hilarious postcards time to time and I really feel that I am part of your relocation adventure /
problems / hurdles... I don't know about you but I will surely learn Bahasa with the help of these postcards.(counting definitely )

4:00 PM, March 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We receive the postcards and have a good laugh over them and most of the times empathise with your neighbours........ soch te honge India se kya cheez bhej di -'pratap shumsher jung bahadur rana'

8:57 AM, March 25, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sangeeta writes beautifully. Plus Pratap it's great to hear her describe you at times (wonder if you've seen those postcards)??!!

8:30 PM, March 25, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just read "satu, dua , tiga" - it is completely hilarious. Am completely hooked now. Thanks so much!

9:16 AM, March 28, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are actually amazing. How you find words to describe the situations, when you look at the humour in the situation post its occurence:)

4:49 PM, March 28, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The story that u sent was very interesting. Are they stories about your everyday
experiences or are they fictitious?

8:58 PM, March 28, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep sending the postcards, they're really interesting. You really should take to full time writing -- atleast preserve these as a set of memoirs.

8:17 AM, March 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are doing well and have not felt any aftermaths of today's earthquake in Jakarta. Awaiting a good write up from Sangeeta on this one!

10:47 AM, March 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations - great way to harness your hidden talent.

1:03 PM, March 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is really a blast... Had a nice laugh. Its good to use whatever talent you have and let the world know too... From what you have written, I'm sure you are having a great time there.

Hope the new quake didn't trouble you much... Wonder how it was caused... Was it because both of you were doing aerobics or was it because of a bunch of friends in Delhi rolling on their stomachs laughing?

10:29 PM, March 31, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blog's a good idea. share the cheer with the world. good on ya. write again soon.

4:46 PM, April 01, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh sangeeta....just what were u doing earlier ..u should have started some column back in mumbai some ages ago ..you write so well and hilarious that too ....that i just couldnt stop laughing...
and the 'satu dua tiga'..is kind of stuck in my head ....i have
literaly started counting in your language :)So when do i get to read the next postcard .. :)

4:56 PM, April 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home