01 April 2005

The 'spa-aah' experience

A spa is aimed at pampering and indulging – and that’s exactly what the lush pictures in the brochure suggested! What better way to de-stress, we thought, as we headed for an exotic Indonesian locale. Destination spas promise you a relaxing time, an opportunity to totally immerse in the spa experience, cut off from the rest of the world. It’s not just about lying on a bed, surrounded by flowers while a therapist soothes the skin with oils. It’s about DE-STRESSING!

Pratap insisted I go in for the ‘Total Pampering’ package while he settled for the conservative basic massage. I gave in, after much cajoling, as I was assured that the therapy would de-stress the body and increase the sense of well-being.

An hour into my three-hour therapy – and I was disturbed by sounds of confusion in the corridors. A short while later the therapist working on me was called out. She returned with a flustered look and excused herself as she too had to attend to Mr Rana who, I was informed had broken out into an allergy. Startled and helpless I lay motionless and imprisoned in my volcanic mud wrap for the next ten minutes, sick with worry while the crescendo of confusion outside continued to rise.

The therapist returned again to inform me that a doctor had been called and an anti allergy tablet had been arranged for. In the meanwhile another oil was being applied to soothe Mr Rana’s inflamed skin. Totally stressed by now – I asked her to rush and cut short my treatment as I needed to get first hand information on what was happening.

I ran out tense and nervous – to find Pratap, the focus of all attention, being wrapped up in towels by a young therapist, while yet another, applied rose water to his legs. Apparently after his first massage (he landed up with two finally) – he was given a glass of warm water with ginger and honey. The term ‘Spa’ is an acronym for the Latin ‘Salude Per Aqua’ which translates into ‘health through water’. But Pratap’s a rarity. Much to his surprise and to the chagrin of others, the magic potion had him erupt into hives, sending the therapists into a tizzy and a state of complete panic. This was much more than they had bargained for!

We finally bid our polite adieus leaving a frazzled team of therapists behind. As for me, well my spa experience was sabotaged! I was left more stressed than I was ever before. And guess who had finally received ‘the total pampering’ package? @#%$*# !

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"you guys are having a great time!" is the refrain that we hear. Often it's almost an envious refrain! Well Sangeeta manages to look at the funny side of life almost always, and that keeps us going.... and Hey! who cares if, in the meanwhile, Pratap Rana's beginning to look like a weathered rock boldly standing up to the vageries of life thrown at us by the Good Lord and others who stride the corridors of power!
"Onwards! regardless!" I say, "Forever, onwards!"

2:23 PM, April 02, 2005  
Blogger michelle said...

ive always been fascinated about travelung places like indonesia. you got a cool blog there.. just wanted to say that

6:19 PM, April 03, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog. This one sort of fits your image totally as I remember you – stressed at anything happening to Pratap or Yudi – as all mothers and wives should be!! So much for spaaaahhhs….

11:21 AM, April 05, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pratap, I cant say that you did not resemble a "weathered rock" even when you were in Mumbai and I think life had an equal amount of poopoo to throw at you here
also.

Sooooooooo................are you preparing to spring upon us - a newly minted Rana with "spa"nking new facial complexion? Hmmm??

6:21 PM, April 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope Pratap has recovered fully by now and what does he have to say for future destressing sessions...

This spa experience of yours is what I always dread... i fear ki kahin kuch aur tod mod ho gaya to, ya phir koi reaction? As I had heard of a friend who too had a reaction to one of the oils. Hence so far I have not been able to jutao the himmat to visit the spa for so called De- Stressing.

6:27 PM, April 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your postcard was totally enthralling reading(and to say the least,i identify TOTALLY,as i m sailing on the same boat as of now),i must say you have inherited the writing genes alright!

5:39 PM, April 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The spa story is hilarious. Keep sending your funny stories and experiences. You write very well and perhaps you should consider writing a book! I am serious.

10:30 PM, April 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It always feels great to hear from you. i visited your blog and
thought it was a great idea. i promise to visit and make my presence felt on it.

10:51 PM, April 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was beginning to wonder if I was off your e-mail list as I hadn’t heard from you in a while. I would write but there is nothing exciting to say, whereas you seem to be having all the “experiences”

11:39 PM, April 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the volcano photographs and love yr blogs too.

8:05 AM, April 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recd your msg of 5 April re the spa experience – keep them coming girl – I need cheering up.

4:51 PM, April 12, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading the postcard. Wanted to put a comment to say that I am surprised that Pratap developed those goosey pimples even after all the training he has had under Massage Patil! If MP came to know of this incident, he might consider shutting his parlour out of shame! ;)

4:57 PM, April 12, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The postcards are very interesting and you write very well.

4:44 PM, April 13, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see Mr.Rana is being his usual sulky baby self throwing
tantrums when he is not star of the show - even if that involves breaking out in a mild rash - Gosh what these men will do to get attention!!!

I am heading out now to quench some thirst - and its not going to be with honey,ginger and water.

9:20 PM, April 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your anecdotes on life in Jakarta. Wonder if you have come across any of my country cousins there?

9:42 PM, April 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home